The Myrtle Beach Boardwalk has been named one of the best boardwalks in the nation, according to National Geographic.
The new 1.2 mile walkway, which underwent nine months of construction and opened in 2010, was one of the reasons editors at National Geographic placed the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk in their list of top ten boardwalks in the country. The varied options for shopping, dining, and entertaining has created a hub of activity for Myrtle Beach and was recognized as innovative by the group that ranked the boardwalks.
“The Myrtle Beach Boardwalk has truly become an iconic attraction along the Grand Strand,” said Brad Dean, CEO and president of the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce. “The concerts, restaurants, shops, arcades and throngs of visitors illustrates that investing in this stunning walkway was an important step in the Myrtle Beach area’s continued evolution into a world-class beach destination.”
The following boardwalks were listed at the top 10 in the country by National Geographic;
• Atlantic City Boardwalk – Atlantic City, N.J.
• Coney Island Boardwalk – Brooklyn, N.Y..
• Myrtle Beach Boardwalk – Myrtle Beach, S.C.
• Ocean City Boardwalk – Ocean City, Md.
• Ocean Front Walk – Venice Beach, Calif..
• Rehoboth Beach Boardwalk – Rehoboth Beach, Del.
• Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk – Santa Cruz, Calif.
• Sandwich Boardwalk – Sandwich, Mass.
• Virginia Beach Boardwalk – Virginia Beach, Va.
• Wildwoods Boardwalk – Wildwoods, N.J.
The Myrtle Beach Boardwalk is definitely a must see for visitors to the area. Family friendly attractions are boundless along the Boardwalk and include the SkyWheel, the Second Avenue Pier as well as Pyler Park. For more information on upcoming events in the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk area, check out this event schedule for Myrtle Beach Hot Summer Nights 2014.